The Virginia Department of Education announces the Granville P. Meade Scholarship which provides financial assistance to students who have achieved academically, but who are financially unable to attend college. The Granville P. Meade fund awards scholarships to eligible Virginia high school seniors to attend one of Virginia’s public or private colleges or universities.
Principals of all public and nonpublic high schools are requested to assist in making students aware of this scholarship opportunity. It is anticipated that the scholarship will be awarded in the amount of $2,000 per year for four years, provided the student continues to meet the scholarship requirements.
The application and selection timeline is as follows:
- March 16, 2018 – Deadline for public and private school students to submit scholarship application to their high school principal.
The Virginia Aviation Business Association is the sponsor of the annual Charles J. Colgan Scholarship. We provide an award in the amount of $2,000 (Two Thousand Dollars) to a well deserving Virginia resident High School,Technical School Senior or College/University Undergraduate who is pursuing an aviation or aerospace related career at an accredited institution. The scholarship will be paid directly to the institution in the name of the awardee. Application Below
Deadline: March 30, 2018
- Completed and signed application and all supporting documents received by the deadline.
- Attained a Grade Point Average of at least 3.0 (based on a 4.0 scale) in their last full year of study.
- Completed essay, typed, double-spaced between 250-500 words on the subject: “Why I Wish to Pursue a Career in Aviation” or “Why Aviation is Important to the Commonwealth of Virginia”.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation, preferably from at least one person in the Aviation industry.
- Proof of acceptance into an aviation-related post-secondary education program. Examples of aviation careers include (but are not limited to) pilots, aviation maintenance technicians, aviation managers, Air Traffic Control, Aerospace Engineering, Aviation Management studies, etc.
Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria: Academic performance (30%), Essay (30%), Recommendations (20%), and Subjective (20%).
HOW TO APPLY:
Having read the requirements, complete the following steps to apply for the VABA Charles J. Colgan Scholarship.
- Complete and sign the VABA Scholarship application form.
- Have your guidance counselor or other high school official sign all required certifications.
- Attach an official copy of your current high school transcript and a copy of acceptance letters or other verification of enrollment.
- Have the individuals providing the recommendations put their recommendation letters in a sealed envelope, with their signature across the back sealed fold.
- Mail all documents together to arrive by the deadline of March 30, 2018 to:
VABA Scholarship (Attn: S. Williams)
c/o Virginia Aviation Business Association
Keeping Spartans Informed